4/24/08

Ron Oveson: 'Criminally Ill', Another Reason To Legalise Medical Marijuana

image

Photo not Ron Oveson

In his blog a guy named Ron Oveson tells his story and why he hopes the Minnesota Medical Marijuana bill should go through:-   

"In my family, we don't break the law. But what should I do when marijuana does more to ease my disease than any other drug?" Ron Oveson.

Since 1989, I've been fighting a rare disorder called neurosarcoidosis, which causes my body to produce antibodies to my own tissues, including my spinal cord and brain. My symptoms are severe and have included sporadic paralysis in my legs and left arm; nausea and vomiting; extreme pain in my extremities, and muscle spasms, some of which cause me to freeze in bizarre positions because opposing muscles contract simultaneously.

In the spring of 2001, the disease began to affect my thyroid gland. My heart rate increased dramatically, and my digestive system sped up, moving food through my system so fast it was largely undigested. My body's reaction was to violently expel any food I attempted to eat. I spent weeks in the hospital, losing about 70 of my 190 pounds. We tried dozens of drugs, to no avail.

Finally, my doctor suggested I try marijuana. He felt that even a small dose could relieve my nausea and potentially enable me to gain back some of my weight.

It was unlike any of the other drugs my doctor had prescribed. Not only did it stop my nausea, but it enabled me to eat a meal for the first time in months.

The fact that I was breaking the law was deeply troubling, however. In my family, we simply don't commit crimes.

Luckily, my thyroid gland eventually returned to normal, and I was able to discontinue using marijuana, which was a relief. I hated the whole process of dealing with an illegal drug.

The thyroid problems have returned several times, and I've had only the occasional ability to obtain marijuana. When I had it, I could live a functional life. When I didn't, I had to use the prescription drugs, which basically reduced my nausea by making me sleep all the time. How absurd that I had to make myself nearly comatose in order to get relief!

It's been two years since I used marijuana, because I simply can't stand to participate in the criminal market. I have to be at my wit's end -- miserable to the point where my upbringing and my law-abiding personality are trumped by my agony. No one should be forced into that position.

Ron's full story can be seen here http://www.startribune.com/opinion/commentary/18023789.html

No comments: